As I sit back and look over the last few years, I can’t help but smile. I say that because from where I was to where I am, is completely different. There were lessons I needed to learn to shape me into who I am today. I’ve learned to live simpler and to embrace the little things. Things I used to fuss about, I no longer do. Things I thought were important, no longer are. It’s truly been a journey!
When Bob, my husband was diagnosed with cancer last fall, we had and still do, have conversations about our life and what our future will look like if his cancer comes back. While I can’t speak for him, I can speak for me. When I look back on my life as I’m sitting in my rocking chair on my big open front walk around porch (which I WILL have one day!), I want to think of all the wonderful memories that were made. I don’t want the latest and greatest tech items or a fancy new car. I want to look back on all the memories and see my girls laugh and smile, by being able to be there for them and do things for them, to give them the gift of travel and live thru them as I get older, to be the kind of grandparent that my grandparents were to me….loving and present and so on. You get the picture. It’s the memories and guess what, a lot of those are just simple things you do together each and every day.
A few years back, I opened an email and this recipe was in it. I printed it out and refer to it often. I try to do most of the things on here because it truly works. I wish I could give credit here but I can’t. I don’t know where this originated but to whom ever did create this recipe, THANK YOU! It’s been a great reminder for me to step back and focus on the little things.
A GREAT RECIPE
1. Take a 10-30 minute walk every day. And while you walk, smile. It is the
2. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day. Talk to God about what
is going on in your life. Buy a lock if you have to.
3. When you wake up in the morning complete the following statement, ‘My
purpose is to __________ today. I am thankful for ______________ ‘.
4. Eat more foods that grow on trees and plants and eat less food that is
manufactured in plants.
5.. Drink green tea and plenty of water. Eat blueberries, wild Alaskan
salmon, broccoli, almonds & walnuts.
6. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
7. Don’t waste your precious energy on gossip, energy vampires, issues of
the past, negative thoughts or things you cannot control. Instead invest
your energy in the positive present moment.
8. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a College
kid with a maxed out charge card.
9. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
10. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
11. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
12. You are not so important that you have to win every argument. Agree to
13. Make peace with your past so it won’t spoil the present.
14. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey
is all about.
15. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
16. Frame every so-called disaster with these words: ‘In five years, will
17. Forgive everyone for everything.
18. What other people think of you is none of your business.
19. GOD heals everything – but you have to ask Him.
20. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
21. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends will.
Stay in touch!!!
22. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
23. Each night before you go to bed complete the following statements: I am
thankful for __________. Today I accomplished _________.
24. Remember that you are too blessed to be stressed.
25. When you are feeling down, start listing your many blessings. You’ll be
smiling before you know it.
I would love to hear from you on things that you do to create more joy in your life. Feel free to share. We can all learn from one another. Have a blessed day!