10 EASY Tips to Cut Calories
More and more, we’re hearing that we need to cut calories because Obesity in the US is on the rise. With the increase of obesity, the increase in disease. Folks are suffering from many conditions that can often be resolved or improved simply by making changes in their diets and adding in exercise. Change can be scary but these 10 Easy Tips to cut calories is a great place to start if you’re new to a healthy lifestyle.
- Nonstick: Use nonstick pans for baking, grilling, sauteeing and even for soup. They are easy to clean up and require a little amount of cooking spray, broth, water or juice to cook with.
- Method: Bake, broil, grill, poach or saute foods instead of deep-frying. You’ll be amazed at how many calories you save by just doing this.
- Reduce: Simply reduce the amount of fat and/or sugar in your recipes. For example, replace the vegetable oil with applesauce or fruit puree when you bake. In addition, you can also use one-third less sugar or choose to use Truvia or dried or fresh fruit to add sweetness to cereal.
- Baste: Instead of basting the turkey or chicken with butter or margarine, cut the saturated fat, and especially trans fat by basting with vegetable broth, white wine or different juices. You can also use fresh herbs, placed underneath the skin. Just remember to remove the skin prior to consumption.
- Lean: Buy the leanest cuts of meat and trim all visible fat as before cooking. If you leave the skin on, don’t consume it. You’ll save many calories that way. White meats are healthier than red meats.
- Dairy: Buy low-fat varieties of milk, sour cream, yogurt and cheese. You won’t even notice the difference in taste.
- Chocolate: Why deny yourself the sensuous pleasure of chocolate when there’s cocoa, dark chocolate and Shakeology? You’ll get your chocolate fix in no time. Just keep an eye on the nutritional information. Just enjoy in moderation.
- Eggs: They are a delicious source of protein and flexible in how you can prepare. Add sautéed veggies and a low fat cheese for a delicious meal.
- Crumbs: Instead of traditional breadcrumbs, you can now find whole wheat bread crumbs.
- Cut: Make servings smaller. Portion control is one of the simplest things that we can do to cut calories. Instead of using your typical everyday plate, use one that is smaller. A 9” plate is a great substitute.
As you can see, these are easy ways to cut calories. Just by making these simple substitutions, you can see your health begin to change.