- 1-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup raw wild rice
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms (button, crimini, or portobello)
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups turkey, chicken, or vegetable stock, or water
- 1 cup cooked light meat turkey, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- Cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley (for garnish)
Select a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and rice and saute about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, soy sauce, and pepper and saute for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add stock or water, cover tightly, and bring to a boil. When it boils, reduce heat to low and simmer 40 minutes. Add broccoli and turkey pieces, stir, and simmer 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
Taste and add seasonings (more garlic or pepper, or a dash of cayenne). Garnish with fresh parsley.
Cooking Time: 1 hour, 1 minute.
Nutritional Information (using stock):
|323g calories||1g saturated fat||3g fiber|
|9g total fat||41g carbs||22g protein|